Friday, September 2, 2011

Ashamed of Politically Incorrect Jesus? (Mark 8:38)

Here Jesus sets some of the criteria for being his followers:  His followers will publicly acknowledge that Jesus was who he said he was.  And Jesus said that he was "The Son of Man" - the Messiah.  He did not claim to be one of the many ways to know God or just a good prophet.  He didn't claim that all the "nice" world religions were also ways to God.  We may wish he did, but he didn't.

Jesus claimed to be not only the exclusive revelation of God to humanity, but he also claimed to be the only one able to reconcile humanity to God. This isn't politically correct to say.  And many of us want to present Jesus as being politically correct.  But he wasn't.  We can pretend - we can deny that Jesus said things like this, but it doesn't make it true.  And if we are ashamed of Jesus...

Mark 8:38  38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

Luke 12:8-10   8 "And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God;  9 but whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God.  

Matthew 10:32-33   32 "Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge before my Father in heaven;  33 but whoever denies me before others, I also will deny before my Father in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!