Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Four Warnings: Two Claims (Matt 7:21-23) 3 of 4

Jesus ends the Sermon on the Mount with four warnings. This is the third...

Matthew 7:21-23   21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.  22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?'  23 Then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.' 

Luke 6:46   46 "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I tell you? Luke 13:25-27   25 When once the owner of the house has got up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, open to us,' then in reply he will say to you, 'I do not know where you come from.'  26 Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'  27 But he will say, 'I do not know where you come from; go away from me, all you evildoers!' 


It is pretty simple: some claim to know Jesus, but don't know him at all.  Those who really know Jesus do God's will.

James 2:26  For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.

There is no way around it. Those who follow Jesus will do God's will.  This makes me pause and think... is my faith full of good intentions or am I living it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!